Swing X: Dancing in Victoria
With Byron Alley and friends
Swing X features swing dance lessons in Victoria — Lindy Hop, West Coast Swing, Balboa, Blues and more — with swing dance champion Byron Alley and other local instructors. See below for details on swing classes for all levels and social dance nights!
SwingX Events on Hiatus
We're no longer running events in Victoria right now since Byron's going on extended leave from the city, but SwingX continues on in many ways!
Where to dance
- Tuesdays: Speakeasy!
- Live band every week
- Just $10 -- includes a drink
- Lots of cool martinis
- Mini crash course lesson- usually during band breaks - taught by SwingX trained teachers
- At Victoria Event Centre (1415 Broad Street)
- Tuesdays: Jam Crew!
- "Swing Y Jam Crew" -- inspired by the Swing X Jam Crew
- For experienced Lindy Hop dancers
- Organized by SwingX Lindy Hop Alumni with several years of training with Byron
- Practice group with monthly membership
- Contact person: Susanne
- At 1303 Broad St.
- Tuesdays except 2nd Tuesday of the month: WCS Collective
- Mostly WCS music with some ballroom & country songs
- Emphasis on blues and retro music but some recent songs too
- No beginner lesson
- Just $5, or $4 if you're currently taking WCS lessons
- Saturday Night WCS
- Continuing on where we left off with SwingX Saturday night WCS dances
- Starts and ends 1h earlier
- At 843 Fisgard St. (same as SwingX WCS nights)
- Beginner lesson with various instructors 7pm-8pm
Learn to Swing!
Learn from local instructors who are familiar with our popular SwingX methods:
- Katrina Mallon -- West Coast Swing! Katrina taught SwingX West Coast Swing beginner and intermediate classes for two years, and her teaching is enhanced by her professional training in recreation and rehabilitation training, and her work in helping kids with special needs like autism. Katrina also dances Lindy Hop, Blues, Fusion and Balboa!
- Alison McKnight -- Lindy Hop! Alison taught SwingX Lindy Hop beginner and intermediate classes for two years, including Lindy Hop aerials. She has a background in several styles of dance, such as ballet and contemporary, and she's completing a degree in psychology. She also dances West Coast Swing, Blues, Fusion and Shag.
- Jay Holman -- West Coast Swing Jay has been teaching West Coast Swing and Blues in Victoria for many years, and brings with him a background in teaching music as a professional guitarist. Jay also dances Lindy Hop and Fusion, and often teaches private wedding dance classes.
Facebook Discussion Group
You're encouraged to join the Swing X Facebook Group where we make announcements and discuss dance videos. If you have questions, it's a good place to ask them!
Things to know
- Bring shoes — Ideally dance shoes, or if not, a clean pair that won't mark or dirty the dance floor.
- Go easy on the scents — We dance in close proximity and some people are really sensitive, so please avoid perfume or cologne and stick to good old deodorant and toothbrushing.
- Music — Check out this list of Music for Lindy Hop and West Coast Swing.
- Swing X Facebook Page — Where new events get posted and sometimes fun videos.
- Swing X Discussion Group — This Facebook group is for announcements and chatting with other dancers. You're more likely to see announcements if you're in this group, and sometimes you'll get to vote on things like which classes and events happen!
- Swing X Email Update List — Announcements and things you missed from the Facebook group (eg. videos, links, etc.)
- Private Lessons / Email Contact